Wednesday, May 2, 2012

There's a Fruit Bowl Up On Her Head

The other night I was scouring my Netflix queue and I decided on a Carmen Miranda movie.  I have been meaning to watch "Copacabana" for some time.  It turned out to be quite a little gem of a film!  Groucho Marx played opposite Miranda and he ended up being a perfectly understaded foil to her over the top acting and facial expressions.


I was so happy to see her stage costumes and giant platform shoes in action.  That lady really knew how to balance produce on her noggin!  One of my favorite head pieces features hair buns in a doughnut motif mixed in with jewels and sequins!  Aye Yi Yi! 

Carmen reminded me of the sketches that Bob Mackie has for sale on his website.  He has a couple of Miss Miranda, one where she is backed up by a few puffy sleeved fellas. 



If you have some time, I recommend checking out this quant little movie.  The songs are fun and Groucho gets in some great one liners.

-Philip Estrada

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...