Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Gold Diggers

I don't know about you, but I am VERY excited about "The Great Gatsby" movie coming out this Christmas.  If this movie is anything like Baz Luhrmann's last film, "Moulin Rouge" it is going to have a noticeable cultural impact.  Working in fashion I have already been seeing the influences of the flapper for a couple seasons and when the movie comes out it'll only be heightened further.



 I think Jubilee! should capitalize on this impending Roaring 20s craze. Through my endless research of the show I have found out that there once was a Gold Diggers number.  It must have been cut when they trimmed the show down to 90 minutes from 120.  I tracked down the original costume sketches that the University of Las Vegas has in their reference library. 

Original Bob Mackie sketches for the cut Gold Digger number.  
Unsigned but you can tell by the distinct way he draws hands.


I was delighted beyond belief when I saw a photo of this costume on Facebook.  Alexandra Freeman, until recently, a Jubilee showgirl has been generous enough to allow me to publish it here.  I would love to see this bad boy in action!  I can almost hear those gold coins a-tinklin'.

Follow Alexandra Freeman on Twitter

Maybe we'll see this costume back on the stage one day.  One can hope... I sure would love to see a chorus line of Bob Mackie clad Gold Diggers!


-Philip Estrada

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...