Sunday, July 31, 2011

30 Years of Jubilee!

This weekend Bally's Las Vegas will be hosted the 30th Anniversary performance of it's hit show Jubilee!  I'm super stoked for them, but bummed, since I couldn't be there.  I have been obsessed with that show and it's history since I first heard about it when reading Bob Mackie's book Unmistakably Mackie.  Mr. Mackie's designs for this show are truly breathtaking.

I found these wonderful pictures that I hope you enjoy.  I don't know much about the history but it looks like they were taken during rehearsals in 1981.  I love seeing the behind the scenes glimpses.  The making of Jubilee is just as fascinating as the show itself.

 Mr. Mackie finessing the ladies is his designs.

 Looks like he giving them some pointers, he undoubtedly picked up some moves from Cher.

A magazine article showing the costumes in full color - awesome! 

I found the costume sketch for the outfits... I love Mr. Mackie's illustration style.

I wonder if anyone from the show can confirm if these costumes are still in Jubilee!  When I saw it I was dazzled by the whirlwind of sequins and feathers and I can't be certain if I saw them.  I can't wait to return to Vegas and see the show again!  

Mr. Mackie's talents are endless and I hope that one day I will be able to work along side him.  Knowing a designer's history is key.  This tells you where they have come from and you are educated in their work and style.  This allows you to stay true to the original intention and aesthetic the designer has developed as their signature.  Since beginning this blog Mr. Mackie's work has become an even deeper passion of mine.  I love learning new things about him and his rich history.  I look forward to the day when I can learn new things directly from the master himself.

-Philip Estrada 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...